Wednesday, December 21, 2016
79 Groovy Things about Jane Fonda on her birthday
Today I'm celebrating Jane Fonda's 79th birthday by sharing a "few" groovy things about her life and career:
1. Jayne Seymour Fonda was born on December 21, 1937, in New York City to actor Henry Fonda and socialite Frances Ford Seymour.
2. When she was fifteen, she taught dance at Fire Island Pines, New York.
3. She made her stage debut with her father in a 1954 charity performance of The Country Girl at the Omaha Community Playhouse.
4. In February 1960, she made her Broadway debut in the play, There Was a Little Girl - which also starred Dean Jones and Joey Heatherton - and received a Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actress in a Play.
5. She was the Mystery Guest on What's My Line? on April 3, 1960 (at 13:25).
6. She made her film debut in the 1960 romantic comedy, Tall Story, starring Anthony Perkins.
7. In October 1960, she appeared on Broadway in Arthur Laurents' play, Invitation to a March, with Celeste Holm and Eileen Heckart.
8. She - along with Ann-Margret and Christine Kaufmann - received a Golden Globe Award for Most Promising Newcomer – Female at the 19th Golden Globe Awards on March 5, 1962.
9. She starred in the 1962 film, Walk on the Wild Side, with Laurence Harvey and Barbara Stanwyck.
10. She starred in the 1962 drama, The Chapman Report, with Claire Bloom and Shelley Winters.
11. D.A. Pennebaker's 1962 documentary, Jane, focused on her as she and her director boyfriend, Andreas Voutsinas, prepared for the Broadway opening of the comedy, The Fun Couple, which ran for three performances in October 1962.
12. She received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for 1962's Period of Adjustment.
13. In March 1963, she appeared in the Broadway revival of Eugene O'Neill's Strange Interlude with Geraldine Page.
14. She starred in the 1963 romantic drama, In the Cool of the Day, with Peter Finch and Angela Lansbury.
15. She starred in the 1963 romantic comedy, Sunday in New York, with Rod Taylor and Cliff Robertson.
16. She was the Mystery Guest on What's My Line? on February 9, 1964 (at 16:55).
17. In 1964, she made her first French film, Joy House, which also starred Alain Delon.
18. She starred in the 1964 French film, Circle of Love, directed by Roger Vadim (who became her first husband on August 14, 1965).
19. She received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for 1965's Cat Ballou.
20. She played Robert Redford's wife in the 1966 drama, The Chase.
21. She received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for 1966's Any Wednesday.
22. She was the Mystery Guest on What's My Line? on January 8, 1967 (at 18:22).
23. On January 18, 1967, she and her husband, Roger Vadim, were guests on The Merv Griffin Show to promote their film, The Game Is Over (La Curée).
24. She played Michael Caine's wife in the 1967 drama, Hurry Sundown.
25. She played Robert Redford's wife again in the 1967 comedy, Barefoot in the Park.
26. She and her younger brother Peter Fonda have only worked together in one feature film - 1968's Spirits of the Dead, in which they play cousins.
27. She starred in Roger Vadim's 1968 science fiction film, Barbarella.
28. She received her first Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for 1969's They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
29. She was interviewed on BBC's Personal Choice on November 29, 1970.
30. She received her first Academy Award (and a Golden Globe) for Best Actress for 1971's Klute.
31. She starred in the 1973 film, Steelyard Blues, with Donald Sutherland and Peter Boyle.
32. She starred in the drama, A Doll's House (based on the Ibsen play), which aired on ABC on December 23, 1973.
33. She starred in George Cukor's 1976 film, The Blue Bird, with Elizabeth Taylor and Ava Gardner.
34. She starred opposite George Segal in the 1977 comedy, Fun with Dick and Jane.
35. She was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson on June 10, 1977.
36. She received a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Drama (and an Academy Award nomination) for her performance as playwright Lillian Hellman in the 1977 drama, Julia.
37. She received her second Academy Award (and a Golden Globe) for Best Actress for 1978's Coming Home.
38. She starred in the 1978 film, Comes a Horseman, with James Caan and Jason Robards.
39. She played Alan Alda's ex-wife in the 1978 Neil Simon comedy, California Suite.
40. In an interview in early 1979, she discussed The China Syndrome and her Academy Award nomination for Coming Home.
41. She received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for 1979's The China Syndrome.
42. She and Elliott Gould were guests on ABC's The Helen Reddy Special on May 22, 1979.
43. She was interviewed about gay rights in 1979.
44. She was reunited with Robert Redford in the 1979 film, The Electric Horseman.
45. She starred in the 1980 comedy, 9 to 5, with Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton.
46. At the 54th Academy Awards on March 29, 1982, she accepted her father's Oscar for Best Actor for the 1981 film, On Golden Pond, which earned her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
47. She starred opposite Kris Kristofferson in the 1981 film, Rollover.
48. In 1982, she released her first exercise video, Jane Fonda's Workout, which was inspired by her 1981 bestseller, Jane Fonda's Workout Book.
49. She played a security guard in an episode of the ABC sitcom, 9 to 5, which aired on October 12, 1982.
50. She received an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for the ABC drama, The Dollmaker, which aired on May 13, 1984.
51. She starred in the 1985 film, Agnes of God, with Anne Bancroft and Meg Tilly.
52. She received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for 1986's The Morning After.
53. She was a guest on Late Night with David Letterman on December 8, 1986 (at 10:14).
54. She was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson on September 15, 1989.
55. She starred in the 1989 film, Old Gringo, with Gregory Peck and Jimmy Smits.
56. She starred opposite Robert De Niro in the 1990 romantic drama, Stanley & Iris.
57. She published her autobiography, My Life So Far, in April 2005.
58. She returned to the silver screen after 15 years to star in 2005's Monster-in-Law with Jennifer Lopez.
59. She was interviewed by guest host Barbara Walters on The Charlie Rose Show on April 17, 2006.
60. She played Lindsay Lohan's grandmother in the 2007 film, Georgia Rule.
61. In April 2009, she appeared on Theater Talk to discuss her return to Broadway in 33 Variations, which earned her her second Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in a Play.
62. She starred in the 2011 French comedy, All Together, with Geraldine Chaplin.
63. She played Catherine Keener's hippie mother in the 2011 film, Peace, Love & Misunderstanding.
64. She was a guest on Late Show with David Letterman on June 6, 2012.
65. She was interviewed by Miss Coco Peru at L.A.’s Gay & Lesbian Center on April 20, 2013.
66. She played First Lady Nancy Reagan in Lee Daniels' 2013 drama, The Butler.
67. She received two Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for the HBO drama, The Newsroom, in 2013 and 2014.
68. She played the mother of Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver and Corey Stoll in the 2014 film, This Is Where I Leave You.
69. She did her first voiceover work in an episode of The Simpsons on November 2, 2014.
70. She was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on May 7, 2015.
71. She stars opposite Lily Tomlin in the Netflix comedy series, Grace and Frankie, which began in 2015 and will return for a third season in 2017.
72. She was a guest on Ellen on May 14, 2015.
73. She and Lily Tomlin were guests on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live on May 14, 2015.
74. On June 4, 2015, she was a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden (with Lily Tomlin and Elizabeth Banks).
75. She was a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on November 19, 2015.
76. She received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for the 2015 Italian film, Youth.
77. She was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on May 6, 2016.
78. On June 13, 2016, she was a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden (with Lily Tomlin and Anthony Anderson).
79. She and Robert Redford will star together for the fourth time in the 2017 Netflix drama, Our Souls at Night.